Wednesday, February 09, 2011

"THE LOVEY"


Right after Cole was born my very talented mother made Cole a taggie blanket . It is really silky on one side and on the other side it is very soft and has his name monogramed on it. Since he was about a  month old we would always rock him to sleep with it.  When he was about 4 months old we started letting him sleep with it in his crib when we were positive that he would not put it over his head and not be able to move it!  Since then, "the lovey" goes everywhere he goes. He can't take a nap without it and when he is playing "the lovey" is always close by somewhere. When he is upset or tired he grabs it and holds it up to his head.  Mike has even said that Cole looks like Linus off of Charlie Brown with his blanket!  I have to laugh because when I was a child I had a blanket that I could not and would not part with. It was so bad that I would get so upset when my mom would try to wash it or clean it. Im embarresed to say, the blanket was literally ripping apart  before I even thought about parting with it.



As I ponder this thought today , It makes me stop and think, we as adults have security blankets. It might not literally be a blanket but we all have something or something that we really really need ( or think we need)  . Something that defines us as who we are . It might be your career, your job title, your house, your wealth, your family, your health,  etc. But the ultimate question is what happens when the day comes along and your security blanket is suddenly stripped away from you ? How do you respond?

Our ultimate security blanket needs to be our faith and love for Jesus Christ. In Romans 8 : 37 it says "In all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."   We must all remind ourselves that there is security beyond every disease, depression, disaster, financial difficulty, death of a loved one or friend etc. When I was pregant with Carter I never in a million years would have thought that the day of a routine check up that we would hear the words that no one ever wants to hear. The words that our baby who we were so anxious to meet was not going to be born alive, but was already in the arms of Jesus.   It was hard to fathom at the time and has taken me many many months to comprehend ,  but God is working through me and our loss and it has lead me closer to Him in many many ways.   Jesus Christ died on the cross for us and even when we feel like our  earthly "security blanket" has failed us we need to realize that Jesus has unfailing  love for those that trust in Him.  Ultimate security is knowing you belong to Jesus Christ and what you have lost may be what finally leads you to Jesus- The One you can never lose.


The ONLY way to get to GOD, is by GOD. You must go to GOD, not to somewhere else, not to something else, not to someone else, regardless of how god-like any of these appear.- [John 10]

No comments: